We started with a Mo Willems story at morning meeting! We hadn't gotten the chance to read Knuffle Bunny on Friday so we read it this morning. We LOVED it, especially the illustrations!
In this illustration, Trixie is upset because she realized she has lost her stuffed bunny! She is trying her hardest to let her father know, even though she can not talk very well. Our class thought Mr. Willem's story was a good one because some of us have favorite things we take along with us sometimes to help us feel secure. Losing one of these would be very scary. Trixie is no different. She was scared without Knuffle Bunny. We were able to see a new technique in these illustrations then we had seen in his pigeon books which was neat.
After this we took time for our morning routine which included our March calendar book. Sawyer almost has the March poem memorized and what do you know Sophia made herself $10 today because she could say it from start to finish withOUT looking!
Then it was math time! There are SO many rubix cubes floating around our classroom right now, which is AWESOME! This just goes to show you that when you want to finish something you CAN! Math menus are DUE this week so if you haven't finished ALL of the must do's you will need to do that before you head home on Wednesday! I am starting to look through these this evening and I am hoping to find lots of PERFECT SCORES when I grade! This menu was a little easier because ALL of the drawers contained review skills. In teacher time we are working on those FRACTIONS. Today we looked at the WHITE (or non-shaded) part of our pictures. I think we are doing a GREAT job with module 5 so far!
This afternoon we worked on some things for the book fair! We were able to preview the books so we would know which ones were some of our favorites! 21 of our classmates attended the bookfair with a cat headband on and 21 attended with a dog headband on. I am kinda curious in how the whole school attended. I bet we find out tomorrow. The book fair will be open this week so come in and check things out if you have the chance.
We also had time to BUILD a pipeline with Mr. Tom. 6 kiddos did an OUTSTANDING job of this and earned an EXTRA LARGE HERSHEY BAR! WOO HOO! Mr. Tom knows the way to our hearts! Everyone earned a LIKE on our class facebook page though because we worked EXTREMELY HARD today in EXPLORATION PLACE SCIENCE TIME! Our pipe lines were very COOL and our golf balls traveled from start to finish without much trouble! Great job third grade!
A few reminders:
1. The book fair is open this week! Check blue folders for wish lists so that the kids can bring money if you plan for them to buy a book or two.
2. Color run donations started coming in today! Third grade alone brought in almost $200! AWESOME JOB! As a school we collected just over $1,000 today and it is only the first day! Keep those donations coming in!
3. There is NO SPELLING TEST this week because it is such a short week!
4. There is also NO READING CALENDAR DUE this week. There is a BLUE reading spring break challenge in everyone's blue folder tonight. Please encourage your kiddo to complete 10 activities from that paper between now and the Monday they come back to school after break.
5. Tuesday and Thursday we have parent teacher conferences so there will be NO latch key program at Ike. I am excited about seeing you all and visiting with you about your child's growth.
Have a TERRIFIC evening!